Planning for re-opening at The Franklin Institute has been centered around creating a modified museum experience that keeps staff and visitors safe and engaged. In order to safely resume the museum's operations, TFI will need to delay the return of our volunteers. As a result, we are not accepting any new volunteer applications at this time.
We hope that the volunteer program can resume once our operations are running smoothly and we can provide a fun and safe experience for all our volunteers.
If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Thank you for your interest in joining the TFI family and we look forward to welcoming you back to the museum soon!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the requirements to be a volunteer?
- Volunteers must be 15 years of age or older.
- Volunteers should be reliable, have a positive attitude, and enjoy working with people
- Volunteers should have an interest in promoting science education
- Volunteers must be willing to complete all required background checks. Volunteers who will have direct contact with children as part of their position must meet all background clearance requirements before they begin volunteering. The Franklin Institute covers all related fees. Click here for more information about background checks.
What do volunteers do?
Volunteers work in almost every area of the Institute. Some volunteers:
- Do demonstrations in exhibits
- Work in administrative offices
- Assist with library and curatorial work
- Meet and greet visitors and answer questions
When can I help?
Volunteer opportunities are available seven days a week between 9:00AM and 5:00PM. Weekend opportunities all involve working with the public.
Volunteers may work a half day or full day shift but should be willing to commit to an average of four hours per week for at least six months.
How do I apply?
We are not currently accepting applications for volunteers.
Volunteer placement is by interview only.
The first step is to complete the application and return it to the Volunteer Office. We will review your application and be in touch if your qualifications meet the needs of our available volunteer opportunities. Feel free to contact the Volunteer Office with any questions. We can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or 215.448.1163.
Is training provided to volunteers?
All volunteers receive an orientation through the Volunteer Office. Job-related training is provided by the department in which a volunteer is working.
What are the benefits of volunteering?
Active volunteers receive free admission to the Museum, including IMAX®, Fels Planetarium, and Franklin Theater shows, discounts in museum store and restaurant, invitations to special events, and, when volunteering, free parking or transportation reimbursement. Depending on the number of recorded hours, active year-round volunteers may earn a free membership to The Franklin Institute.