Tuesday, December 3, 2019 - 7:00pm to 10:00pm
With admission to The Worst-Case Scenario: Survival Experience
When the kids are away, the adults can play!
Science After Hours pays tribute to the classic holiday film Home Alone with an evening full of mischievous fun, worst-case scenarios, and plenty of “don’t try this at home” science—pulled straight from some of the movie’s most iconic scenes.
Holiday pajamas and other festive attire encouraged.
· Need a quick escape? Tinker with simple catapults and ziplines as you explore the physics behind the classic booby traps seen in film.
· Roving wet bandits to demo scenarios from the film.
· Stepped on a nail? Slipped on ice? Explore weight distribution and dangers of frictionless surfaces.
· What goes through the mind during precarious situations? See how your brain processes different sensations and stimuli through brain mapping demonstrations.
· Need to pick a lock? Locksmith Philly is here for that.
· Experience crisis through virtual reality and learn how FEMA professionals save lives during natural disasters.
· Creepy-crawling tarantulas from Drexel University’s Academy of Natural Sciences.
· Nighttime observing on the rooftop observatory (weather permitting)
· Holiday caroling from OwlCappella, Temple University’s a capella group
· Giant Tinker Toys®, large Imagination Playground blocks, KEVA planks, and Rigamajigs® to build with and play in Creation Station.
Plus! Bonus admission to the world premiere exhibit The Worst-Case Scenario: Survival Experience. With a 76,000-ball pit as its centerpiece, a horizontal climbing wall, and a train car jump—the exhibit immerses you in various survival challenges to build the skills necessary to face some extreme—but quite possible—worst-case scenarios.
Can you survive if your smart home outsmarts you? Can you escape from a bear? How about from a bad date? Meet special guests, co-authors of internationally bestselling book series The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook David Borgenicht and Josh Piven, who worked with hundreds of experts on these topics and more to develop the book of which the exhibit is based. Plus! Test your hand at a special edition of Quizzo, hosted by the famed duo.
This event is 21+
- Tesla Science Foundation
- Independence Blue Cross
- American Heart Association