Tuesday, March 26, 2019 - 7:00pm to 10:00pm
Revisit the roaring 20s at the uber-popular annual event throwback to the decade famous for bootleg booze and fancy flappers. Delve into the science and mastery behind gambling, smuggling, propaganda and other Prohibition-era mischiefs—and learn the simple dance steps of the legendary Lindy Hop and Charleston.
• Presentations on the history of Philadelphia’s underground breweries during prohibition
• ‘Bathtub Gin’ tastings and the science of distillation
• Learn how scientists use alcohol in the process of DNA extraction
• See the effect of alcohol on the human body: handle real plastinated brains, and take part in a simulated ‘bed spins’ demonstration.
• Enjoy themed cocktails in a speakeasy atmosphere with Boardroom Spirits
• Live music from the 1920s inspired jazz group Drew Nugent and the Midnight Society
• The Black Tribbles will bring a taste of gambling with parlor games and discussions on probability.
• Special performances by the The Olde City Sweethearts dance troupe
• Cabaret, magic tricks, and more from Envoute: Magic and Burlesque
Dress in your finest 1920s-inspired attire and shimmy over to the Speakeasy Science event of the year.
This event is for Adults 21+