The Franklin Institute, the most visited museum in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, strives to be the world leader in promoting science and technology education and literacy through inspiring and engaging experiences that cultivate curiosity, critical thinking, and an understanding of science's crucial role in our lives.
At The Franklin Institute, we provide an environment that is as nurturing as it is dynamic. Our team-oriented approach allows for ample learning and career growth opportunities. We think you will find the Institute offers the ideal atmosphere in which to use your skills and talents best. We are eager for your input, ideas, and inspiration.
The Franklin Institute seeks energetic performers to enhance the in-building visitor experience. We are looking for performers with high-energy, big personalities, and the ability to captivate an audience. This role would benefit from having someone with comedic skills who can read an audience and has the ability to improvise with guests.
Performers are responsible for engaging guests with scientific content in an educational, fun, and memorable capacity through demonstrations, live shows, and group and one-on-one facilitation.
We are looking for reliable performers with initiative who can work with little supervision, have customer service skills, and commit to at least three days a week. Must be willing to work a flexible schedule to include weekdays, weekends, evenings, and holidays.
The Performer will also be responsible for the following:
- Performing shows and acts in the assigned area according to show schedules and assisting in the daily operational aspects of the assigned show.
- Leading science experiences for museum guests, including but not limited to performing live shows and demonstrations and interacting/facilitating in exhibits.
- Performing dissections of animal organs, not limited to but focusing on mammals.
- Developing skills and knowledge to maintain quality show, appearance, and integrity.
- Assisting in general cleaning of specified areas.
- Working as part of a team to increase productivity while providing excellent guest service.
- Developing an understanding of exhibit content and activities grounded in STEM.
- Handling of chemicals and materials - (ex: liquid nitrogen, hydrogen, helium, carbon dioxide, and oxygen gases; dissection scalpels) - training provided. Ability to handle latex balloons.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Interest in learning about science and value the importance of science communication
- Able to communicate effectively in a professional manner with co-workers, supervisors, and guests.
- Deliver a high-energy entertainment experience; experience in delivering high-energy, fun performances.
- Excellent customer service experience
- Previous experience in education and visitor services in an attraction setting is preferred.
- Ability to stand, walk and work for prolonged periods of time.
- Fluent in Spanish preferred.
Status: Part-time, 24 hours per week
To apply, please visit our Career Center. We look forward to hearing from you!
Research shows that women and people from underrepresented groups often apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. We recognize that it is highly unlikely that someone meets 100% of the qualifications for a role. If much of this job description describes you, please apply for this role.
The Franklin Institute is an equal-opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, national or ethnic origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
As a condition of employment at The Franklin Institute, employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by the date of hire, subject to requests for accommodation.
As the most visited museum in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and a top-five tourist destination in the City of Philadelphia, The Franklin Institute is one of the leading science centers in the country and serves as both a prominent educational and cultural resource, and as an anchor of the local economy.