- A round or roundish body of mass: spherical
- A large formal gathering for social dancing
- An event where people “walk” (i.e., compete) in different categories for trophies, prizes, and glory.
- A very pleasant experience
For year two of Summer Ball, the category is… ‘Self Reflect(ive)’ as we celebrate LGBTQ+ Pride month with an event for everyone that focuses on mental health and feeling good about yourself. We encourage you to be bold with your looks and work with the category of ‘Self Reflect(ive)’, so wear your shiniest jumpsuit, your sequined skirts and be ready to walk on our illuminated runway dressed to the nines…even though we’re all 10s.
Special Programming for the night:
The Main Stage | Atrium
The Main stage is your location for various showcases and lessons to help stretch and get the body moving.
- Drag performances by some of Philadelphia’s best, curated by local drag queen and show producer, The Eric Jaffe.
- Learn the elements of Vogueing and Runway at two separate lessons by Director and Choreographer, Kemar Jewel along with performances by Dayla Mizani, and Hayden West.
- Guided mobility and mindfulness session with fitness professional and dancer, Tiel Guarino.
- Line dancing lesson with DJ Hugo Max from Giddy UP Philly.
- Music and performance by DJ Lili St. Queer
So Curious! Stage | Franklin Air Show
Stretch your mind and join us for a series of flash talks by local professionals who were given the prompt “Mental Health is Health”. Moderated by The Franklin Institute’s Chief Bioscientist, Jayatri Das and in partnership with Radio KISMET, our So Curious! Stage gets its name from The Franklin Institute’s podcast, So Curious! which you can listen to and learn more about HERE.
- List of presenters to be announced!
The Dancefloor | Fels Planetarium
The Dancefloor is your location for letting loose, and maybe enjoying a few surprises.
- Dance to club classics and top 40 remixes with DJ Drootrax
- Full Dome visuals by Liquid Light Lab
- Compete for fabulous prizes at Drag Bingo
- Screen print with Second State Press, an exclusive design made for the event.
- Performances by the LGBTQIA+ Volunteer Cheerleading Organization, Philly Cheer Elite.
- Local party photographer, UV Lucas returns behind the lens to capture every dip, pose, and strut.
- More to be announced!
So, from the runway to the dancefloor, have fun, be you, and have a Ball!
All tickets Include:
- Evening access to all the museums’ core exhibits and galleries.
- Access to all Featured Programming.
- Limited Edition lapel pin created exclusively for the event.
- Access to our roof deck offering spectacular views of the city and facilitated stargazing (weather permitting).
What To Know:
- This is a 21+ event. A valid form of identification will be checked upon entry.
- Only small clutch bags allowed (4.5”x6.5”).
- Food and Drink provided by Seravezza Events is available for purchase at stations located throughout the museum.
- Doors for the event open at 7:30 pm. Most of the programming will begin around 8:00, with a full schedule of the evening released closer to the event date.
- While we encourage everyone to dress up to the theme, there is no formal dress code for Science After Hours. Shoes, tops, and bottoms are required for entry and no full-face coverings permitted.
- The Franklin Institute does not discriminate based on gender or orientation, race, or religion. Anybody found to harass other guests will be escorted from the event.
$40 in advance
$45 day of at the door
Member Ticket: $35
Sign up now to be the first to know when tickets for Science After Hours and other Adult Programs go on sale!
Buy Tickets Buy Member Tickets