The Franklin Institute’s Master Educator Program develops educational leaders through in-depth professional development about the brain, the science of learning, innovation, and collaboration. Through this yearlong certification program, teams of K-12 teachers and administrators from districts across southeastern PA and NJ work collaboratively to implement impactful, research-based practices that maximize learning and engagement for their students, teachers, and communities.
"This experience has been career-changing. I can't say enough great things about it."
- Peter Leaming, 7th Grade Teacher, Klinger Middle School
- Four full-day professional development sessions (virtual or in-person, following safety guidelines)
- One field trip for students to visit The Franklin Institute, up to $450 in value
- Innovation showcase highlighting how Master Educators have used research-based strategies to improve student learning during the program
- One-year family membership to The Franklin Institute
- 20 Act 48 credits
- Micro-certificate upon completion
- Advance knowledge of current research in neuroscience, education, innovation, and STEM
- Build confidence and skills in using research-based teaching strategies with students and adults
- Build a collaborative network of motivated educators across districts in the region
- Become a leader in your school and district for using a research-based approach for educational decision-making
Participation in all four full-day professional development sessions and evening Innovation Showcase/Graduation Ceremony is mandatory. Events will be held either virtually or in-person according to guidelines from our organization, city, and state. Dates are subject to change.
August 11, 2020
Session 1: The Science of Learning (virtual)
November 11, 2020
Session 2: Be an Innovator (tentatively in-person)
February 18, 2021
Session 3: The Science of Struggle, Grit, and Mindset (tentatively in-person)
April 15, 2021
Session 4: Memorable Learning (tentatively in-person)
Sept 2020-May 2021
Student Field Trips and Team Innovation Testing
May 26, 2021
Innovation Showcase and Graduation Ceremony (tentatively in-person)
$1800 per participant
Includes: professional development sessions, program materials, food, parking, membership, and student field trip. Transportation and food for the field trip are NOT included.
Scholarship will be offered on a yearly basis and will be advertised with the 2021-2022 application in the spring.
Applications are now closed for the 2020-2021 program year. Please check back in Spring of 2021 for next year’s application.
Teams of 2-4 teachers and administrators from one school, district, or other educational institutions may apply for the Master Educator Program. Applicants must work together to complete all parts of the application, and submit all components of the application together via email. Competitive applications will include a mix of teachers and administrators, which can include principals, curriculum directors, site directors, and superintendents.
Assistant Director of Professional Development