Don’t miss the unusual "ring" solar eclipse, this Thursday morning, June 10. Solar eclipses occur when the moon lines up directly between the Earth and the Sun. For Thursday’s eclipse, the moon is a bit farther from the Earth, appears a bit smaller than usual, and doesn’t completely cover the sun. the result? A ring of sunlight around the moon’s silhouette! The full ring eclipse is visible across northeastern Canada and the Arctic regions. For viewers elsewhere, it’s a partial eclipse. In the northeast US including the Delaware Valley region, we’ll see the eclipse in progress as the sun rises in the east northeast – that’s at 5:31am ET! The eclipse will finish an hour later when the moon slides out of position.
Here’s a complete guide to the eclipse: https://www.greatamericaneclipse.com/2021-june-10
• Clear skies, no clouds!
• An unobstructed view of the east-northeast horizon at dawn (Jersey shore observers take note – this one’s for you!)
• And you must have solar eclipse-grade eye protection to see this happening.
Because only 70% of the sun’s disk will be covered by the moon as the sun rises, the remaining 30% of sun is just as bright as the entire sun!
NEVER LOOK DIRECTLY AT THE SUN WITHOUT PROPER EYE PROTECTION!
You won’t see any sky effects typically associated with total solar eclipses. In fact, if you didn’t know it was happening, you wouldn’t know it was happening.
Want to see the entire ring eclipse with no difficulty? Here are several options for live viewing:
• TimeandDate – starting at 5:00 am ET: https://www.timeanddate.com/live/eclipse-solar-2021-june-10
• Royal Greenwich Observatory - starting at 5:05 am ET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuEBLLN-VQg
• Cosmosapiens – starting at 3:00 am ET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJ9fDbx7QkM
Photo: "The annular solar eclipse of 26 December 2019, as seen from Jaffna, Sri Lanka," by Rehman Abubakr.