| back to Student
of the Josephine Clock
Napoleon banished Josephine, she retired to various estates,
but preferred La Maimison. The clock was taken to La Maimison.
Upon Josephine's death in 1814, her son and daughter took
possession of it. The Beauharnais family used it later as
ransom for the attempted release of Napoleon from the isle of
Helena. The attempt failed, of course, as history records. At
the death of Napoleon, the clock disappeared.
Joseph, the older brother of Napoleon came to Philadelphia in
1815, bringing with him a number of possessions, many of which
are still found in the city. He also leased a number of houses
in the local area, only
one of which is still standing.
is thought that Joseph brought this clock with him when he
came to Philadelphia. How the clock passed form the
Beauharnais family (Josephine's) to Joseph Bonaparte would
make a very interesting story, as there was deep animosity
between Josephine and Joseph almost from the moment they first
met. Her children were equally despised by him.
1936, the clock surfaced in the Philadelphia area and was
donated to the Franklin Institute by Mrs. S. Warren Ingersoll.
In 1950, the Empress Josephine clock received a massive
renovation at the hands of an expert named Orville R. Hagans
in Denver, Colorado, and was on display at the Denver Clock
Mannor for five years before returning home to Philadelphia.
It is now on display at the Franklin Institute.
Post, "Resurrection of the Empress," George Mace Martin,
dated around 1952. [Exact date obscured.]
Philadelphia Daily News, "Napoleon was not Here," dated
October 23, 1992.
Philadelphia Inquirer, "A
marker will identify the residence of Joseph Bonaparte, Napoleon's
brother," dated January 9, 2000.
back to Student Activities |