Order Your NSP Kit!
NSP Mission & History
Resources for Volunteers
Page Layout Tutorial
Within each NSP session, there are several activities. Each activity includes instructions for preparation, explanations of science content, and suggested presentation strategies for engaging girls in the fun of scientific exploration. View sample activities and note the useful sections (described below) by which each activity is divided.
Sample activities: Shadow Time | Sunsational Sundials
- A Materials list for each activity will tell you what you need for that individual activity, in contrast to the "List of Weekly Materials" at the start of the book which tells you what materials you will need for every session in the entire book.
- The What to Do section offers step-by-step instructions on how to do the activity including how to prepare the materials and how to frame the lesson. In many instances, we have provided you with questions you may ask the girls directly.
- With the Helpful Hints section we suggest presentation strategies and ways to modify the activity to meet the needs of your group.
- The Whys and Hows section will explain, in straightforward language, the scientific principles at work in each activity.
- Finally, the Other Ideas to Explore section will offer suggestions for further exploration of the science concepts, sometimes giving additional factual information and other times suggesting additional activities.
Back to Facilitating NSP
This material is based upon work supported by the National Science Foundation under Grants 0436249, MDR #8751820, and MDR #91-55285. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.