THINK IT OVER
On the side wall of The Sports Challenge, there are picture of many athletes with their heights and weights.
1. How much more does Tra Thomas weigh than Shaquille O'Neal?
Two friends tried the wheelchair race. Alex was in the regular wheelchair and Jake was in the racing wheelchair. They raced seven times. The winner of each of the seven races is indicated by an X in the table below.
9. How many more times did Jake win than Alex?
Michelle got on the surfboard. First she put her feet on the red feet. She lasted 1 minute and 45 seconds. Next she put her feet on the blue feet which are closer together. She lasted 24 seconds.
11. How many seconds longer did she last on the red feet? What does this tell us about standing on a surfboard?
An old time baseball weighed 3 ounces. A modern baseball weighs 5 ounces.
12. If I have 5 old baseballs on one side of a scale, how many modern
baseballs do I need to balance it?
14. 20 students in a third grade class tried to hit the tennis balls over the net. 4 hit all 7; 5 hit 6; 8 hit 5; and 3 hit 4. How many balls were hit over the net?
Sarah and her friend tried bouncing balls on the different surfaces. They dropped the ball from 2 feet. On astroturf, it bounced 11 inches; on hardwood, 22 inches; on foam, 7 inches; and on sand, 1 inch.
15. Put the surfaces in order from highest bounce to lowest bounce.
Dan, Fran, and Stan got in the racing cars. Dan's first time was 43 seconds. Fran had a 39 and Stan a 36. On the last try, Dan had a 22, Fran a 26, and Stan a 27.
17. Who improved the most? The least?
Five friends took a turn as a downhill skier. Here are their best times:
18. Make a bar graph to show these results.
It takes 28 yards of stretched rubber thread to make one golf ball.
19. If you had 100 feet of rubber thread, how many balls could be made?