1. In the 1700s, a sundial was built in Jaipur, India that was 90 feet high. Is 90 feet more or less than 25 yards? Explain.
2. The Mayans determined that it takes 584 days for Venus to orbit the sun. It takes 365 days for Earth to orbit the sun. How many days shorter is a year on Earth than a year on Venus?
3. The moon changes in a 29.5 day cycle. About how many new moons will we see in one year?
4. Stars in the sky form pictures. Here is Orion the Hunter. Use your pencil to outline and label the following: a pentagon, a triangle, and a trapezoid.
5. Globular clusters have one hundred thousand stars. How many stars would be in 12 globular clusters?
6. On Mercury, the temperature is 800 degrees in the sun and 297 degrees in the dark. What is the difference in the temperatures? On a hot summer day on Earth, the temperature might be 93 degrees. How much hotter is it on Mercury than on Earth?
7. The weight of something depends on gravity. On Jupiter, gravity is 2 1/2 times what it is on Earth. Therefore, something would weigh 2 1/2 times more on Jupiter. Tell what each would weigh on Jupiter.
8. An object weighs 112 pounds on Neptune and 38 pounds on Mars. Suppose we had 2 of the same object. What would the difference be in the weights?
9. Yuri Gagarin of Russia was the first human into space in 1961. He left Earth at 9:07 and returned at 10:55, less than 2 hours later. Make a clock to show each of these times.
10. Rovers are vehicles that go out and explore surfaces of heavenly bodies. The Rover Sojourner was the first of these. It traveled on 6 big tires. It went about 1/2 meter per minute. How far did it go in 10 minutes? In one hour?
11. The Hubble Telescope is the most powerful telescope in the world. It was sent into space in 1990 and is still there sending information to Earth. How many years has it been in space? About how many months?
12. The first space suit was made in 1940. Now they have gotten really complicated and expensive to make. At Outerspace Outfitters (one of the displays), you can buy a space suit for twelve million dollars. Write that number. Suppose they took two million, five hundred thousand dollars off the price. Now how much would it cost?
YOU HAVE LANDED!