All across northern Russia, there are native people who base their economies on the herding of reindeer. Reindeer are kept as a source of food, hides, and transport. Reindeer hides supply beautiful light warm clothes which allow people to work in the severe cold winter. Hides are sewn together to provide tents and bedding. The sale of antlers has also become an important business.
The coat of a reindeer is very thick which provides them with excellent insulation. Their hooves are broad which enables them to walk through snow and swamp. They eat lichen in winter and spring and grass and willow in summer and autumn. They need to be tended on the range to keep them from predators (wolves) and to lead them to better grazing grounds. Many herders are responsible for 500-2000 reindeer. Reindeer number about 2,250,000 in Russia today, but a harsh winter can kill large numbers.
1. One herder had trouble keeping track of his herd. Every day he lost 10 more than the day before. How many had he lost by day 6? By what day had he lost 550? Make a chart to show your work.
2. Another herder started out with a certain number. He lost 21, then gained 33. He then lost 15, lost 12, gained 40 and finally gained 11. He now has 753. How many did he start with? How many has he gained?
3. The ratio of herders to reindeer is 1 to 650. If there are 5 herders, how many reindeer are there? If the ratio is 2 to 1100, how many herders are there if there are 6600 reindeer?
4. On one particularly harsh winter, 40% of 1500 reindeer died. How many survived? This same herd was increased by 50% the following year, but then 20% died in the winter. How many reindeer would they need to add to the number to make a herd of 2000?
5. A herder travels 2 miles west, 3 miles north, 2 miles south, 1 mile east, and 4 miles north. How far is he from where he started when he crossed his own path?
6. Reindeer often travel single file with little space between. The average reindeer is 3.5 feet long. Based on this, how long would a file of 500 reindeer be if the space between is 1 foot?