India's climate is dominated by monsoons. Monsoons are strong, often violent winds that change direction with the season. Monsoons blow from land to sea in the winter and from sea to land in the summer. The summer monsoons roar into India from the southwest. They carry moisture from the Indian Ocean and bring heavy rains from June to September. The torrential rainstorms often cause violent landslides. Entire villages have been swept away from monsoon rains. Despite the potential for destruction, the summer monsoons are welcome. Farmers depend on these rains to irrigate the land. They also provide much of India's electricity.
RAINFALL DATA (in inches)
AVERAGE HIGH TEMPERATURES
USE A CALCULATOR!!!!
1. Find the average rainfall for each ot the cities. Which has the highest? the lowest?
2.What is the median rainfall for Bombay? Calcutta?
3. What is the range of temperatures for each of the cities? Which has the greatest range? the least?
4. Which city has the greatest temperature range from January to September?
5. Which is the hottest month?
6. Which is the driest month? How can you calculate this?
7. On a temperature line graph, which city would be represented by this line?