CHINA: THE GREAT WALL
Construction of the Great Wall was begun in 221 B.C.
for the purpose of keeping out barbarians from the north. It stretches
4,000 miles in an east-west direction. It is built of many different
materials, from granite rock to tampered earth. Ranging from 15-50
feet high with a base width between 15 and 30 feet, the wall has guard towers
spread across the entire length of the wall. Estimates are that over
a million workers were used to build the Great Wall. Many died from
disease and injury and were thrown into the foundations of the next section
of the wall.
1 cutty = 1.1 pounds
Use the information above to answer these questions.
1. As of the year 2001, how many years has it been since construction of the Great Wall began? ________________________
2. How many li long is the Great Wall?__________________________________
3. In Chinese feet, what is the range of the height of the Great Wall? ________________________
4. If a stone used to build the great Wall weights 110 cutty, how many pounds does it weigh? ___________________
5. If a stone is 3 Chinese feet long, how many feet is that? _______________
6. How many stones would it take to stretch the length of 3 miles (1 mile = 5,280 feet) if each stone was 3 Chinese feet long? _______________
7. How many acres would be in half a mou? _____________________
8. How many mou would be on a twenty acre farm? ______________________