The Moscow Circus is known throughout the world for its talent, exotic costumes, and beautiful music. The building in Moscow where the circus is held is an engineering feat itself. The building is made of concrete and glass with a large dome. The unique part is underground. There are five arenasequestrian, illusion, ice, water, and luminoushidden underneath which can each be pulled up in about seven minutes.
Among the many acts are the White Cranes, a group of trapeze artists who "fly" without a net. There are birds who appear from nowhere, turn into other birds, fly up, and disappear. There are trained hedgehogs, horseback riders, clowns, gymnasts, and much more.
The other well known entertainment is the Bolshoi Ballet. It was begun in 1776 using orphan children as dancers. At the end of the 19th Century, the choreographer, Marcus Petipa created SLEEPING BEAUTY and SWAN LAKEballets that were written to music by Tchaikovsky, the first of many Russian composers to write for the ballet. Some of the greatest ballet dancers of all time have danced for the BolshoiPavlova, Nijinsky, Ulanova, and Nureyev just to name a few. The Bolshoi Ballet is considered by many to be the number one company in the world.
1. 3,450 spectators come to the Moscow Circus daily. How many people see the circus annually, assuming it is open every day?
2. There are 4 kinds of seats available:
A family of 5 (2 adults and 3 children under 12) spent $131 to get into the circus.
Which seats did they get?
3. A trapeze is hanging 36 feet above the floor. A 5 ft. 10 in. trapeze artist is holding on to the ankles of her 6 ft. 2 in. partner. Allowing 4 ft. for their upstretched arms, how far is she from the floor? If the trapeze artist is hanging 18 ft. from the top, how far is it from floor to ceiling?
4. A group of gymnasts make a body pyramid. How many gymnasts are needed to make one that is 5 levels high? If it were possible, how many would be needed for 8 stories? Explain how you got your answer.
5. There are 18 members who are dancing in a ballet. If each person dances with every other dancer only one time, how many possible combinations of partners are there? If there are 9 males and 9 females and each one gets one partner, how many possible combinations are there?
6. Martina is seated 20 minutes before the ballet begins. The performance lasts 1 hour and 50 minutes plus a 20 minute intermission. She stays seated for that. There is a 5 minute applause at the end and the troupe returns for 10 more minutes. How long has Martina been in her seat? Give your answer in hours and minutes.