Bocce is a favorite sport of Italians both in Italy and in the United States alike. Its origin can be traced to three possible placesEgypt, Greece, or Italybut its popularity is definitely because of the Italians.
You need eight large balls and one smaller ball called a pallino. Four of the balls have designs and four are plain. There are teams that can be 1, 2, or 4 members each. The object of the game is to get your 4 balls as close to the pallino as possible. You can knock your opponent's balls out of the way if you want. The game goes on until one team reaches a total (usually 11, 12, or 16) points.
1. You can make your own Bocce court. It should be flat and level. It should be 91 feet by 13 feet. What is the perimeter of the court? the area?
2. There is a bocce club in South Philadelphia. The owner has 4 sets of bocce balls. What is the probability of getting a plain ball? a pallino?
3. Draw a picture to show how these points were scored. Angelo and Tony were playing. Angelo had the balls with designs and Tony had plain ones. Angelo had 12 points and Tony had 8.
4. Sylvio is going to plant bushes around his bocce court. He is going to place a bush at each corner and in the center of each side. On the shorter sides, he will plant 2 more bushes equidistant from the center and the corners. On the longer sides, he will plant 6 more bushes all equidistant. Using a scale of 1 cm = 1 foot, use graph paper and draw his court.
5. Cosmo, Mario, Tony, Sal, and Vinnie keep total scores for their bocce
games. Use this chart to make a bar graph comparing their combined
Find the mean, median, and range for these scores.