IVORY COAST AND KENYA: ANIMALS
1. Let's talk about lions. They range in size from 7.9 - 9.5 feet.
They weigh between 265 - 420 pounds. They eat 10 - 15 pounds of food a day.
It takes a lot of tries to make their kill. (1:6 ratio of successes
to tries). They travel in groups called prides. Some prides have as
many as 40 members.
2. Now let's talk about giraffes. Their tongue is 18 inches long!
The female is 14 to 15 feet tall. The male is 15 to 17 feet tall.
They weigh between 1210 and 3960 pounds and run at a speed of 35 mph.
They eat leaves and grasses.
3. Zebras are cool. Lions love to eat them also. They eat
grasses. They are 50 inches tall and weigh between 300 and 600 pounds.
They run at 40 mph.
4. Cheetahs run very fast and eat a lot. They eat 30 pounds of meat a day yet they are about half the size of the lion. If there are 10 cheetahs in a group and 10 lions in a group, how much more food would be needed for the cheetahs? ___________
5. The striped hyena lives in East Africa--in the Kenya area.
In their world, the female is the dominant one even though she is smaller.
They weigh between 90 and 190 pounds and are 28 to 35 inches tall. They
6. Let's make some comparisons. Fill in this spreadsheet from the information
you figured out on this paper.