UNITED KINGDOM: STONEHENGE
Stonehenge is one of the great mysteries of the ancient world. It is a series of stones. There is an inner circle and an outer circle. It is located in Salisbury Plain in Wiltshire, England. It was built in several stages from 2800 B.C. to 1500 B.C. Theories about who built the site include the Druids, the Greeks, the Phoenicians, and the Atlanteans. There are also theories about its purpose astrological phenomenon, temple, or even burial ground.
1. The tallest stone in Stonehenge is 6.7 m above ground and 2.4 m below ground. How tall is this?
2. The inner circle is made of bluestones. Each one weighs 4 tons and there are 80 stones in all. How many pounds is that for all 80 stones?
3. The outer circle has sarsen stones. Each one weighs 50 tons and required 600 men to carry them. How many pounds is that per man?
4. How many years ago was Stonehenge started? completed?
5. Talulah and Trevor are going to take their 3 children to visit Stonehenge. It costs 3.70 pounds for adults and 1.90 pounds for children to take the tour. How much is that in dollars and in pounds? (Remember that one pound = $1.50)
6. There are only 4 days a year when Stonehenge is not open for visitors. If it is open from 9:00 to 6:00, how many hours a year is it open?
7. Stanley looked at lots of pictures of Stonehenge on the Internet.
He estimated that the radius of the inner circle was 75 yards. What
would the diameter be? the circumference? (Remember, C = pi x d)