The Shape of Things
- Brandon's back yard is in the shape of a rectangle. The
length is 50 feet and the width is 30 feet. What is the
perimeter? What is the area? If you put up a fence and each
section is 8 feet long, how many sections would you need and
how many posts?
- Tim is putting in a circular garden in front of his
house. He needs to put a low fence around it. He also needs
to get mulch. If the circle has a diameter of 12 feet, how
much fencing would he need? It comes in rolls of 10 feet.
How many rolls will he need? Each bag of mulch
covers 3 square feet. How many bags of mulch does he need?
- Syreeta is having a party. She needs to buy ice cream.
She knows that each person needs 2 scoops. The ice cream
package is in the shape of a rectangular prism. The length
is 12 inches, the height is 5 inches, and the width is 8
inches. What is the volume? If each scoop is around 12 cubic
inches, how many scoops can I get out of a package?
- Markisha is also having a party. She needs to make some
brownies. She will use a 9 x 9 X 2-inch pan for the
brownies. She can get 16 brownies out of each batch. What
will be the dimensions of each brownie?
- A can of Campbell's soup is 4 inches high, with a
diameter of 3 inches. How much soup is in the can? If you
must dilute the soup by using one canful of water, how much
soup will there be to eat?
- Courtney is making 72 cookies. She will make rectangles
and cut them into triangles. Each rectangle will be 2
inches by 4 inches. What is the area of each cookie? If she
wants to put icing on them, how many cans will she need if
each can will cover 48 square inches?
- How many triangles are there in this shape?
- What is the area of a STOP sign if each side measures 1
- Mr. and Mrs. Smith are going to carpet their den. The
den measures 21 X 12 feet. How much carpet will they need
if it is sold by the square yard? The carpet they want is
$18.95 a square yard. That includes padding and
installation. How much will it cost to do the job? Don't
forget to include tax, and a charge of $50 to take up the
- Draw a cat, but you may only use regular polygons and
you must use at least 6 different ones.
The Shape of Things
Back to Puzzling and