To the Beach...
- Umbrellas rent for $3 a day. The Jacksons will be at the
shore for 2 weeks. Should they buy an umbrella for $34.95 or
rent one everyday? Justify your answer.
- Make a double line graph to show these air/water
temperatures at Ocean City in August.
Monday: Air=92; Water=68
Tuesday: Air=94; Water=69
Wednesday: Air=88; Water=70
Thursday: Air=85; Water=72
Friday: Air=96; Water=72
- The ice cream truck comes to the beach. Mrs. Davis gives
her daughter $5. She gets a Choco Taco for $1.25, a Rocket
for $.95, and 2 Creamcicles for $.85 each. How much change
should she get?
- Tim and his dad build a sandcastle. They start at
10:30AM and build for 2 hours and 15 minutes. What time are
High tide comes in at 3:35 and washes their castle away. How
long was the completed castle standing? Give the time in
hours and minutes.
- Ashley's Boogie Board cost $80.00. She uses it everyday
for 5 days, for 5 hours each day. How much is that an hour?
- Kelly figures she needs 200 shells for her Girl Scout
troop. Everyday she fills a bucket with 30 shells. How many
days will it take her to get 200?
If 3 in every 20 are starfish, how many starfish will she
have when she gets all 200 shells?
- Eric and Brianna go fishing off the pier. Together they
catch 17 small fish. Brianna catches 5 more than Eric. How
many do they each catch?
- Eight people sign up for a horseshoe tournament. Each
one must play every other contestant at least once. What is
the least number of games that could be played?
- Mark, Dave, Steve, and Matt had a race. Steve was faster
than Mark but slower than Matt. Dave took the least time of
all. Match the times with the runners. Times: 18.6 seconds;
17.5 seconds; 18.2 seconds; 17.9 seconds.
- Heather and Holly were eating their lunch. First, 18
seagulls swooped down but 11 flew away. Then 12 more came
and 2 flew away. Finally, 14 came to visit and 8 of those
stayed. At this point, how many gulls were still on the
Back to Puzzling and Perplexing