USE THE FOLLOWING URLs OR PRINT THE CHARTS OUT FOR THE
STUDENTS. YOU CAN SUBSTITUTE YOUR FAVORITE BALL PARK.
- Which teams had batting averages over .200? National
League? American League?
- Looking at the NL Batting Leaders and the AL Batting
leaders, what was the total number of RBIs scored?
- Looking at the pitching leaders, which one had the best
ERA from both leagues? AL? NL? Which team had the most top
pitchers in the NL? AL?
- Veterans' Stadium opened on April 4, 1971. How many
decades ago was that?
- The Philadelphia Phillies were born in 1883 and won
their first NL East championship in 1976. How long did it
take them to do this? They won their only World Series in
1980. How long ago was that?
- There are 90 feet between bases. What is the area of the
- If the ballpark is shaped like a rectangle with the foul
lines 330 feet and 371 feet, estimate what fractional part
of the field is the infield? EXPLAIN IN SENTENCE FORM HOW
YOU ARRIVED AT YOUR ANSWER.
- The Brown family is going to a game. They bring $125
with them. They need 2 adult tickets for $20 each and 3
children's tickets for $10 each. They buy hot dogs and
sodas for everyone at $2.50 a hot dog and $1.75 for a soda.
They get a program for $9.95 and want to buy T-shirts for
the kids at $11.95 each. Will they have enough money? If
not, how much would they need? What could they do if they
decided that the T-shirts were something that they had to
- Look at the all-time Home Run leaders. What is the
range, median, mode, and mean?
- The game starts at 7:05 PM. It takes 45 minutes to get
there from home. You need 20 minutes to park and find your
seat. You need 15 minutes to get settled and watch batting
practice. When should you leave home?
- The Cy Young award is given to the best pitcher in each
league. Look at the statistics given and tell in sentence
form why you think the award is named after him.
- There are 3 games on TV in the afternoon on Saturday and
4 games on TV at night on Saturday. There are 5 different
games on TV Sunday afternoon. How many different
combinations of games can Sam watch?
- Billy has 25 more baseball cards than Raheem. Together
they have 255 cards. How many cards does Billy have?
- In one section of the ballpark there are 15 rows and 11
seats on a row. Jack's favorite seat is on the third row
from the front and the fifth seat in from the right. Draw a
diagram and show where his seat is.
Batter Up! Solutions
Back to Puzzling and