Case File of William D. Coolidge
Committee on Science and the Arts
<< Case Files Home
Contents of CSA #2865
1927 Levy Medal
ON THIS PAGE
- Catalog Summary
- Evidential Information
Case File Catalog Summary
William David Coolidge grew up on a farm in Massachusetts and obtained a scholarship to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) in 1891. The 1927 Edward Levy Medal was awarded to Coolidge for his paper on "The Production of High-Voltage Cathode Rays Outside of the Generating Tube." The paper appeared in the December 1926 Journal of The Franklin Institute. A year before, Coolidge was awarded the Potts Medal for his Coolidge Tube, a new and improved vacuum tube for the production of x-rays.
Also available: the contents Coolidge's Case File 2853 relating to his 1926 Potts Medal for vacuum tubes for x-ray production.
- Letter from John M. Rusby, offering his opinion of Coolidge's paper. January 17, 1927. (692k)
- Letter to Lionel F. Levy, informing him of the Sum-Committee's decision. January 29, 1927. (996k)
- Letter from Benjamin Franklin, Esq. who chaired the Sub-Committee that selected Coolidge for the Levy Medal. February 11, 1927. (542k)
- Letter to William Coolidge, informing him of his selection as the recipient of the 1927 Levy Medal. February 15, 1927. (818k)
- Letter from William Coolidge, expressing his appreciation for the Levy Medal. February 17, 1927. Front (625k) | Back (558k)
- Letter from William Coolidge regarding a conflict in his schedule. April 4, 1927. Page 1 (546k) | Page 2 (1.5M)
- Letter to Coolidge, offering relief to his schedule conflict. April 6, 1927. (667k)
- Letter from William Coolidge, expressing appreciation for the relief provided to his conflict. April 7, 1927. (1.0M)
- Letter to Franklin with instructions and remarks for the Medal Day ceremony. May 10, 1927. (691k)
- Certificate March 2, 1927. (493k)
- Notecard with Dr. Creighton and B.F.'s ranks for top three papers indicated. (126k)
- Handwritten notes that appear to be a rough draft of the summary of the Sub-Committee's discussion. (no date) (395k)
- Internal memorandum requesting production of medal for Coolidge. March 3, 1927.
- Internal memorandum requesting production of certificate for Coolidge. March 3, 1927.