When The Franklin Institute's current building was envisioned, planners designed a facility that filled an entire city block with four distinct wings enclosing a central courtyard. However fundraising for the project coincided with the onset of the Great Depression, and only generated resources to complete two wings.
In 1989, The Franklin Institute began construction on a major addition to the original building. The Futures Center campaign funded the creation of new exhibit spaces and renovations to the existing building. Highlights of the project included the addition of the Tuttleman IMAX® Theater and the Mandell Center.
Building on its legacy of innovation and progress, in 1998 The Franklin Institute began a campaign to completely revitalize its building, creating an environment that would not only be engaging but also optimally safe and comfortable for all visitors. More than 50 percent of the Institute's 1933 building was renovated thanks to the contribution of more than $61 million from 386 donors.
To learn more about the Inspire Science campaign, use the links below:
[ About Inspire Science ]
[ History ]
[ Inspire Science Recent Achievements ]
[ Inspire Science Current Initiatives ]
[ Inspire Science Campaign Donors ]
For more information about the Inspire Science campaign, please contact Melanie Bricker, Special Projects Manager, at 215.448.1283 or email@example.com.