When planning this unit, I found it difficult to keep within the
two month time frame that we were allotted according to our district's
scope and sequence. It took more time to get all the concepts taught
and this cut into my next unit of study. One good thing is that the
students loved working with the circuits. I did notice that some
students did have more difficulty than others getting their results written
on their recording sheets. When you have a large group of children doing
cooperative science labs, it is difficult getting around to all the groups.
I found that some of the children had difficulty following the directions
of the lab, and were not on task. It was then that I would review
the directions with the children and redirect them.
It was rewarding to see my students so involved in the research of
Ben Franklin and then being able to tie in much of what we learned with
the museum visit. I think this gave the children a deeper understanding
of the many aspects of such a wonderful man.
I do regret not taking my school's digital camera along on our field
trip to the museum. It would have been fun to see their excited faces
when engaged in an exhibit or lesson. When I do this again, I will give
my students the opportunity to do a scavenger hunt on the electrical exhibits
and Ben Franklin. When we return to school, I will encourage my students
to show their understanding of what they learned about electricity and Ben Franklin only, in their four-panel story
In the end, I think my unit on electricity was a lot of fun for my
students. I enjoyed observing them while actively engaged in their
assignments, helping them troubleshoot problems and share the excitement
of success. Going to The Franklin Institute was certainly an added
plus supplying the children with a deeper understanding.