- Welcome to "Flights of Inspiration."
- This website looks at the challenge of flight, from
the Wright brothers' first flight to the transatlantic
flight of Alcock and Brown.
- Who is "Flights of Inspiration" for?
- "Flights of Inspiration" is for anyone who has an interest in the history
and science of flight. Certain parts of the resource are specifically
intended for science teachers and their students.
Activities are aimed at students aged
10 to 14 but you will find that it can be readily adapted
to the needs of younger or older students.
- What topics are covered by "Flights of Inspiration?"
- The aim of "Flights of Inspiration" is to help students
understand more about forces, particularly the forces
involved in flight:
- lift, weight, thrust and drag
It will also help them to understand more about the
development of the technology of flight:
"Flights of Inspiration" relates directly to
the UK Curriculum.
- the historical context and the people involved
- how our scientific understanding of flight was
- how the science of flight was applied, to make
- How do I use "Flights of Inspiration?"
This website contains extensive reference material for
students, linked to a number of activities. Find out more
about using "Flights of Inspiration."
- Can I incorporate other resources?
This website will help you follow links to related
websites, as well as suggesting other resources you might
use when teaching about the forces of flight.
Browse the hotlist of other online resources.
[ Flights of Inspiration ]