General Topics |
Cities as Superorganisms
- "Large modern cities are astonishingly complex systems."
- The 10 Most
Enlightened Cities in America
- "Communities ... dealing creatively with the challenges
they face, places that can provide inspiration and practical
ideas about how to improve life in your own hometown."
Gates to the City
- "A dozen ways to build strong, livable, and sustainable
Characteristics of an Ecosystem
- "An ecosystem is a system where populations of species
group together into communities and interact with each other and
the abiotic environment."
Ecosystems, Biomes, and Watersheds
- "...the meaning and applications of ecosystem and of the
related terms watershed and biome."
- Urban Ecosystems
- "Cities of the future will embrace the ecology of the
landscape, rather than set themselves apart."
Neighborhood Works: Building Alternative Visions for the City
- "We believe that the present and future of urban
communities involve practical approaches to energy use, job
creation, housing, development, food production and material
- EPA Community Based Approaches
to Environmental Protection
- "Community-Based Environmental Protection (CBEP) integrates environmental management with human needs, considers long-term ecosystem health and
highlights the positive correlations between economic prosperity and
- The Center
for Urban Ecology
- "...consists of a multi-disciplinary team of scientists
and technicians dedicated to developing a better understanding
of the ecology of landscapes that have been influenced by human
Wildlife Federation Schoolyard Habitat
- National Wildlife
Federation Backyard Habitat
- "invites students, teachers, administrators, and the
surrounding community to become involved in the life sustaining
process of growing, caring for, and learning from a habitat on a
- Through the Eyes of a Child
- Children share their photographs of their neighborhoods in New
- Cadillac Desert
- "...delve into the history of water use and misuse in the
- Recycling Lesson Plans
- School Nature
- What Schools Can Do To Protect The Environment
to PA Counties Environmental Notebooks
- Flower Delivery
- Flower Resources, Life Cycle, Classification, and so much more! Plenty of great ideas for gardening with kids.
- The Urban Forest
- "Where giant cedars and hemlock once dominated, small
ornamental trees and shrubs abound. Where bears and wolves once
roamed, automobiles and commuter trains rule. These elements
have redefined the region's natural landscape to an urban
- Urban Agriculture Notes
- "...concerns itself with all manner of subjects from
rooftop gardens, to composting toilets, to air pollution and
Agriculture in Philadelphia
- "The hundreds of garbage strewn vacant lots ... have
stimulated citizens to create what has been called `the largest
comprehensive urban greening program in North America.'"
- Philadelphia Green
- "... provides information, technical assistance and
encouragement to help organize community groups who want to
revitalize their neighborhood through plantings on vacant lots,
in parks and along city streets."
- "An introduction to the many ways children can interact
with plants and the outdoors."
- "... teach children not only about plants, nature, and
the outdoors, but other subjects as well. Gardens can teach
children about history, economics, poetry, and math ..."
- "We thought an urban garden would help restore our
community: just take kids, add water and dirt, grow food."
- Urban Garden
- "City gardening can be a challenge. There are few resources
dedicated to getting the most from the limited spaces of a patio or
- From air conditioner maintenance to weatherization
- A list of web resources.
- "...encourage energy efficiency by providing basic facts
on individual energy
- Energy Quest
- "Energy Education from the California Energy Commission."
- Department of
- "...subject-specific directory that allows you to conduct
a general search of Web sites that appear on DOE EREN, the
official Web site of DOE EE/RE."
- The Heat Island
- "On warm summer days, the air in a city can be 6-8 degrees F
hotter than the surrounding countryside. Scientists call these
cities `Urban Heat Islands.'"
- "Planting trees is an attractive strategy both for saving
money through energy efficiency and for improving the quality of
life in urban areas."
Solutions for Cities and Counties
- "... read success stories about how cities and counties
are putting new energy efficiency and alternative energy
measures into practice, reducing energy costs, and protecting
the environment as well."
- The Energy Story
- "Energy lights our cities. Energy powers our vehicles,
trains, planes and rockets. Energy warms our homes, cooks our
food, plays our music, gives us pictures on television. Energy
powers machinery in factories."
Trash and Recycling